B.O.L.T. (Bacon, Oyster, Lettuce, Tomato) Sandwich Recipe
Feb 17, 2023
The B.L.T. is one of the most popular sandwiches in the United States, and for a good reason. It's easy and has no frills. The balance of salt, acidity, and crunch makes it super delicious!
Sometimes, however, it is nice to spice things up. Check out this awesome recipe that combines the famous oyster Po' Boy with the classic B.L.T.
Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 dozen oysters, freshly shucked
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon
- Vegetable oil (for frying; about 5 cups)
- 8 slices brioche or white sandwich bread (such as Pullman), toasted
- Mayonnaise, Bibb lettuce, and sliced tomatoes (for serving)
Step 1: Whisk flour, cornmeal, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, toss oysters in flour mixture; transfer to a plate.
Step 2: Working in batches, cook bacon in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat until crisp, 10–12 minutes per batch; drain on paper towels.
Step 3: Pour oil into skillet with bacon fat to a depth of 1" and heat over medium-high heat until oil bubbles immediately when a pinch of cornmeal mixture is added. Working in batches, fry oysters, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Build sandwiches with brioche, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and fried oysters.