The BEST Homemade Smash Burger Recipe with Easy Sauce
by Nathan Glass on Jan 06, 2023
Delicious Smash Burger Recipe
What is a smash burger? It’s a thin burger cooked on a griddle. The burger gets lots of flavor from the browned bits that develop during the quick cooking process. Those browned bits form a delicious crust with a wonderful texture.
The smash burger was made popular by the Smashburger, hamburger chain. It gets it’s name from the technique of smashing the hamburger on the grill with a large spatula or bacon press.
- Ground Beef: We use 1.5 lbs of 80/20 beef to make 4 double-patty burgers, but you can easily scale the recipe up to feed a crowd (use 3 lbs for 8 double-patty burgers).
- 1/3 cup Duke’s mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Yellow mustard
- Thick sliced Cheddar cheese
- Brioche buns
- Lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, red onion, and/or any other desired toppings
1. Divide 1.5 lbs of ground beef into 8 equal portions (3 oz each), cover, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
2. Stir together mayo and mustard and set aside.
3. Lightly butter the cut side of your buns and toast on a griddle or skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Transfer to a rack.
4. To cook burgers, increase to medium-high heat. Working quickly, cover each piece with a sheet of parchment paper and smash each into a thin patty. Remove parchment paper, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, add a dab of sauce, and flip. Sear for 2 minutes on the first side and about a minute on the second side.
5. Lastly, place a slice of cheese onto half of the patties and top with a second patty and remove from heat. Serve warm over toasted buns with toppings.