Delicious Wintertime Seafood Chowder Recipe
by Nathan Glass on Jan 18, 2023
Winter is the perfect time to enjoy warm and comforting seafood dishes. If you're looking for a delicious recipe to try this winter, look no further than this classic seafood chowder.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups fish stock or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fish fillets (such as cod, haddock, or halibut)
- 1 pound shellfish (such as shrimp, scallops, or clams)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the flour is lightly toasted.
- Gradually stir in the fish stock or chicken broth, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the heavy cream, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt.
- Cut the fish fillets into bite-size pieces and add them to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the fish is just cooked through.
- Add the shellfish to the pot and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until they are just cooked through.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve hot, with crusty bread or crackers on the side.
This seafood chowder is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for a cold winter evening. The combination of fish and shellfish in a creamy broth makes for a delicious and satisfying meal.
The use of fish stock or chicken broth will add a rich and complex flavor to the chowder and the use of different types of fish and shellfish provides a variety of texture and taste. The chowder is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins. The addition of cayenne pepper and black pepper will add a nice kick of heat to the chowder.
This recipe is versatile and you can adjust the amount of cream or the types of fish and shellfish to your liking.